Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Admissions Officer

I love sketching people when they're moving and talking, rather than posing. I sketched this admissions officer at a meeting for prospective college students. The challenge was to choose a characteristic angle and pose as he spoke.

I'll be lecturing and demoing about sketching people in the wild at the Portrait Society of America's National Conference in Washington, DC this weekend. I don't know if you can still register to attend, but if you can make it, I recommend it highly. Here's the registration form.

During my talk Friday morning called "Likeness and Character," I'll be previewing a segment from an upcoming video that I'm working on called "Portraits in the Wild."

4 comments:

Fabio said...

Uh! Big announcement and great portrait James!
Looking forward to the new video!
Just for your interest, it seems the link to "likeness and character" doesn't work :)

Mitch said...

Darn, wish I could see your talk in person, but I'm on the other side of the country.

Looking forward to "Portraits in the Wild"! I can't think of anyone more qualified or inspiring on that subject. I'd also love to see you do "Animal Portraits in the Wild" (hint, hint).

The Jerk said...

I agree about drawing people while they move vs. posed portraits. Somehow the results seem more dimensional and alive. At least in my experience...

Unknown said...

Sketching People in the wild? would also be a nice title for your next tutorial Video ;)